Trying something new for the first time can be overwhelming and a bit scary. Combine that with the concept of having someone sticking needles in your body, and it can be absolutely frightening – but it doesn’t have to be.
Today, acupuncture therapy has increased interest in patients with chronic pain, headaches, stomach issues, menstrual cramps, and fertility problems. Acupuncture, a form of traditional Chinese medicine, has been practiced with success for thousands of years. Nowadays, this therapy is used as a vital tool in conjunction with the regular healthcare approach.
Now, let’s take a look at why you should consider acupuncture therapy:
- Acupuncture can make you feel energized and relaxed even after one session. During the session, the acupuncturist selects the pressure points specific to your condition. Acupuncture also creates an increase in serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins.
- Acupuncture can help some people with symptoms of nausea, digestive upset, sleep issues, and migraines. Although the practice may not offer a complete resolution to these issues, it can bring relief.
- There are very few side effects from Acupuncture therapy as there are no drugs and chemicals involved.
- Even though the practice uses needles that enter the skin, the acupuncturist’s skill can make the treatment painless. Also, communication with the acupuncturist can help choose what best suits your tolerance and sensitive points to be avoided.
- Acupuncture is a high-quality treatment for chronic pain and a wide range of medical conditions. Today, many institutions are recognizing the benefits of Acupuncture.
As a first-time patient, acupuncture therapy may make you feel anxious. So, here are a few tips for you to make your session less stressful.
- Wear Comfortable, Loose Fitting Clothing
You can receive acupuncture treatment from head to toe. Thus, it is better to wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing.
- Be Honest and Open
Share your medical experiences and concerns with your acupuncturist. Being honest and open about it will help you receive the best treatment.
- Share Your Concerns
Acupuncture will work best when you and the therapist are on the same page. So, if you have any doubts or concerns, or treatment goals, share them with your acupuncturist.
- Eat Something Light and Avoid Caffeine
You don’t want to be full or starving for your session. Make sure to eat something light and healthy before your session.
Avoid consuming tea or coffee before the session because you need to feel relaxed during acupuncture therapy.
- Be Mindful of Scheduling
Schedule your appointment at a time when you can relax after the therapy. However, if you have a busy schedule, any time slot is better than none.
Now, you might have understood why you should choose acupuncture therapy and what you should do to make the session go hassle-free. Before booking an appointment, it’s always good to do some research about the acupuncturist. Look for the best acupuncture therapist for your condition, who can best treat your symptoms. Subscribe to our newsletters for nutritional advice, online booking for a certified acupuncturist near you or naturopathy counseling sessions online.