Table of Contents
CBD Oil or Cannabidiol is a chemical compound of the Cannabis sativa plant. The oil is directly derived from the hemp plant and is one of the most popular natural remedies for many common ailments. This natural ingredient used in the oils and edibles transmits a sense of calmness and relaxation to the mind and the body. Recently, Cannabidiol has become a major point of discussion and proclaimed for several health issues. Out of which, the most evident one is its use in treating some childhood epilepsy syndromes such as Dravet syndrome and Lennox – Gastaut syndrome (LGS). The results were satisfying as the number of seizures was reduced in most cases.
Many Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) believe that CBD oil has great potential in overcoming chronic health conditions with proper dosage and appropriate use. Naturopathy is a medicine that deals with herbs and natural elements to cure and enhance the self-healing power of the body. CBD oil, the naturally-derived product makes an addition to naturopathic care by utilizing the balancing properties of the oil and influencing the body in a number of different ways.
CBD Oil is currently gaining momentum in the healthcare sector due to its properties and benefits. Also, has been confirmed to be a great ailment for chronic pain and anxiety patients
Read More: CBD Oil Guide for Massage Therapy
Is it Attainable/legal?
Talking about its obtainability, we expect it to change. We can say it’s in flux like available at some places, expensive for many states while restricted at others. In certain cases, it is legalized with different restrictive measures. Being one of the readily available alternative medicines, some states are making sales from it while some are selling at a cheaper rate.
Does CBD Oil hold any Health Benefit?
CBD Oil is being used for patients suffering from insomnia, REM sleep disorders, and anxiety. Apart from epilepsy, it is also being used for Parkinson and Chron disease. Moreover, evidence of treating different chronic pain like inflammatory and neuropathic pain favor CBD oil use. Though, more research needs to be done before drawing any conclusions.
Is it safe?
CBD Oil or Cannabidiol is at times accompanied by side effects like nausea, fatigue, and irritation. It is also known to raise the levels of Coumadin (blood thinner in the blood) in your blood. Moreover, it is not sold as a medication but only as a supplement. As the safety and purity of dietary supplements are concerned, the oil is not regulated by the FDA, it might be a matter of concern. Though, in December 2018 Farm Bill, signed into law clarifying the legality of CBD oil hemp-derived products for naturopathy professionals.
How does it work in our bodies?
CBD Oil is known to be used in edibles that block GPR55 which eventually alleviates the breakdown of bones and averts the growth of cancer cells. Furthermore, it works as an antiseptic. Besides all this, it also changes the shape of CBI not allowing THC to bond directly.
Is CBD psychoactive?
Found in Cannabis sativa, there are around more than 100 chemical compounds known as Cannabinoids of which CBD (Cannabidiol) is just one. There is another named Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the main psychoactive cannabinoid and is known to raise the sensation of ‘High’. Unlike THC, CBD is not psychoactive.
Benefits of CBD Oil in Naturopathy
There are many naturopathy treatments and modalities that can work as an alternative with CBD oil. But what make CBD oil as an exception are its properties. The non-intoxicating botanical concentrate, CBD oil is prepared by diluting CBD (extracted from Cannabis plant) with carrier oil (coconut/hemp seed oil). CBD oil interacts with our natural systems and can be directly incorporated into Naturopathy sessions. Some benefits of CBD oil are listed below:
1. Relieves Pain
CBD is known to reduce inflammation and chronic pain. Some studies on rats related to its response to surgical incisions and sciatic nerve pain too have shown promising results. A combo of CBD and THC has proved effective on humans as a treatment for multiple sclerosis and arthritis. Also, an oral spray called Sativex is approved and has been remarkably good for muscle spasms.
2. Reduces Anxiety and Depression
Common mental health issues like anxiety and depression can at times turn out to be a serious matter of concern. In such challenging circumstances, CBD has shown promising results as an antidepressant in naturopathic techniques. All this is due to its ability to drive Serotonin (neurotransmitters that regulate mood & social behavior) by acting on brain receptors. There are also other naturopathy modalities such as massage therapy in naturopathy that can be exercised with CBD oil to overcome anxiety or depression.
Read More: Types of Anxiety Disorders
3. Alleviates Symptoms Related to Cancer
CBD helps reduce symptoms and side effects related to the treatment of cancer. One major side effect of Chemotherapy (nausea and vomiting) was effectively reduced by the use of a combo of CBD and THC as compared to THC alone. The mouth spray method was better and more effective as compared to drug treatment. In the case of breast cancer, concentrated CBD was found to induce cancer cell deaths (due to its anti-cancer properties). Also, it slowed down the spread of aggressive cancer cells in the case of mice. In spite of all promising, a lot more studies and research is needed in this field.
4. Reduces Acne
CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it might prove helpful in treating Acne. Its ability to reduce sebum secretion (from the sebaceous glands) may add to the benefit by preventing the activation of “pro-acne” like cytokines.
5. Neuroprotective Properties
CBD might do well to people with neurological disorders especially epilepsy and multiple sclerosis as it has the capability to act on ECS (endocannabinoid system) and other brain signaling symptoms. Oral spray Sativex (a combo of CBD & THC) has proved to relieve by reducing muscle spasticity in masses with multiple sclerosis. In people with severe epilepsy, there was a drastic reduction in seizures. Also, a remarkable effect was noticed in children with Dravet syndrome. Though, there were some cases where people experienced convulsions, fever & fatigue. In cases of Parkinson’s disease, CBD came up with positive results like improved quality of life & sleep. Besides this, it is also known to alleviate anxiety during public speaking as well as improves psychotic symptoms in people with Parkinson’s disease.
6. Benefits Heart Health
CBD Oil has the potential to lower high blood pressure (due to its stress and anxiety-reducing properties) which might be a risk for various health issues including heart attack, stroke & metabolic syndrome. Using CBD oil in Naturopathic Medicine is found to reduce oxidative stress & prevent heart damage, though more human studies are still needed.
7. Other Potential Benefits
- CBD Oil might reduce psychotic symptoms. Thus, benefitting people with Schizophrenia and other mental disorders. Though there are certain controversial views but those may be related to dose and duration of treatment.
- CBD has effectively shown progress in transforming the brain circuits related to drug addiction. When tested on rats, it showed reduced dependence on morphine and satisfactory results towards heroin-seeking nature.
- Studies on animals and test tubes reveal the prevention of various cancer spreads, for example, breast, prostate, colon, lung & brain.
- Some researches reveal that CBD might improve Dystonia (a movement disorder marked by muscle contractions) to some extent in some cases but more research is needed for confirmation.
- Some studies revealed that the application of CBD gel might alleviate anxiety and also show improved behavior in fragile x syndrome (an inherited condition marked with learning disabilities) patients.
- CBD before retiring to bed improves sleep time for masses with insomnia.
- Using CBD spray under the tongue might improve pain & muscle tightness in people with multiple sclerosis though it does not improve muscle spasms, tiredness, bladder control, or quality of life.
- For people with heroin use disorder (consuming heroin or some other opioid drug), CBD can be fruitful as it reduces craving & anxiety.
- As per some studies, the number of cigarettes smoked can be cut down by inhaling CBD with an inhaler. Thus, it might prove beneficial for those wishing to quit smoking.
- Some researchers also reveal that the application of oil containing CBD might improve nerve function in people with Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD-group of painful conditions that affect the jaw joints and muscles.
Read More: Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Insomnia
Side Effects of CBD
Though its oral and sprayed intake is generally well-tolerated, but still side effects such as dry mouth, low BP, light-headedness& drowsiness are common. In certain cases, diarrhea, changes in weight and appetite as well as fatigue may be observed depending on individual reactivity. Moreover, CBD is interactive with various medications and can be a matter of concern.
- Evidence reveals that CBD has a better response when it is used in combination with THC. So be careful.
- CBD products can be harmful to pregnant women and breast-feeding mothers as they might contain some impure ingredients.
- Lower doses of CBD are recommended for liver patients.
- For people with Parkinson’s disease, a high dose of CBD might worsen muscle movement & tremors.
- CBD is interactive with various medications, thus consultation with a doctor before its consumption is a must.
CBD oil, a hemp-derived product has many benefits in health and naturopathic care. It can be of great advantage for people suffering from chronic health conditions. Naturopaths have been practicing CBD oil in their treatments and therapy sessions. Thus, know the best use of the element. If you’re considering utilizing CBD for your condition, visit a naturopath before its use as an expertise is essential.