Table of Contents
Naturopathy or naturopathic medicine is an old science medicine used from ancient times in India, the modern version of Naturopathy originated in Germany and Europe in the 16th and 17th century, based on a belief that the body encompasses the ability to heal itself through special vital energy. Naturopathy is a system of healthcare that emphasizes disease prevention, recognizes the body’s innate healing capacity, and has great potential to attain optimal health.
The practice Naturopathy comprises many therapies, including massage, acupuncture, exercise, nature cures, proper hygiene, and nutritional counselling.
What does a Naturopathic Doctor do? How does it work?
Techniques and Benefits of Naturopathy Modalities
Naturopathy is a highly individualized treatment that is often successful at treating chronic conditions even when conventional medicine and practices fail to respond. One of the main principles of Naturopathic medicine is to promote & maintain the body’s long-term optimal health. Naturopathic physicians develop a suitable treatment plan involving nutritional supplements, diet therapy and recommend exercising a combination of multiple therapies such as acupuncture, massage, physical manipulations and much more following the Naturopathic principles to gain optimum benefits:
- Disease prevention
- Helps boost the immune system
- Treatment of digestive disorders, allergies, skin conditions like eczema & psoriasis
- Overcome insomnia & other sleep disorders
- Helps connects one with their inner self and recognize the body’s innate healing capacity
- Focuses on a combination of emotional, physical & spiritual wellness
- Prevention from future health problems.
- Stimulates positive thinking
- Reduces stress, anxiety & depression
Common Naturopathic Modalities practiced by Doctors include:
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
1. The Healing Power of Nature
2. Identify and Treat the Cause
3. First, do no Harm
Naturopathic medicine and the treatment plan use therapies that are non-invasive and effective. The Naturopathic physicians follow certain guidelines to avoid harming the patient:
- Exercise of methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects;
- Use techniques that do not suppress symptoms
- Acknowledge and work with individuals’ self-healing process
4. Doctor as teacher
5. Treat the whole person
Naturopathic Treatment Forms
Counselling and Stress Management
Who Can Use Naturopathic Medicine?
If one fails to find relief for chronic illness using traditional medicine, we recommend naturopathy treatment as a great option.
In many cases, one can follow both conventional and naturopathic medicine to treat an ailment. Naturopathy treatment includes proper medication for allergies, chronic pain, digestive issues, hormonal imbalances, obesity, headaches, respiratory conditions, fertility problems, menopause, cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, and more health problems.
Though make sure your doctors know about your conventional medications and naturopathic treatments if practiced.